Sunday, May 10, 2009

Eagle Watch and Grandma Comes to Visit

Dad's been out and about more. Grandma came to visit and we went to Eagle Watch Nature Trail, which got him out and in the fresh air. It was an impromptu outing due to all the rain that has been here for so long. Friday evening he and my mom came to Jaslyn's kindergarten graduation. He seemed to do very well, but they didn't stay for refreshments.
Having grandma around has been a HUGE help!!!


Today (Mother's Day) we had lunch at my parent's house where one of my brothers along with his family and one of my sisters and her family were there. It was a lot of people with many different conversations going at once. Way too much to keep up with for Dad. He got a little strange at one point, so I took him outside for a bit of fresh air and calmness, then he seemed to do fine. What's really hard is that my siblings and their families intentionally avoid him. It makes me SO angry!!! My sister feels sorry for my mom and wants to put my dad in a home. (This is her step-dad, but has been so since she was 10-11 years old.) She says it might be different if it were her dad.....she has no patience for him and admits it. God grants what you need when you need it, but you need to ask Him for it, too! Grrrr. I know, not everyone handles these situations the same, and I do love my sister, but it's frustrating to try and explain things to someone who only sees him a few times/year. He's sick. It's not his fault. You can't hold past mistakes against someone who has no recollection of those mistakes. The time is now, we have right now and that is it. Why dwell on his past character flaws when right now he is so loving and caring and affectionate? He's not the same person he was, which has made it much easier for me to help care for him.

Sorry about the tangent, there. All in all, things are going well, or....at least as expected and not a whole lot worse.

Does anyone else share these frustrations???

No comments:

Post a Comment